Oct 1, 2007

Terror filled Mondays.³

Well, here we are three out! I’m not sure if anyone is amazed by the selection of movies but, I have gotten email from others who also fondly remember some of those movies of yesteryear.

Today’s entry into terror filed Mondays is celebrating its golden anniversary this year!

That‘s right! Today’s jewel is half a century old! Simply amazing but, fortunately for me it isn’t a flick I saw during it’s original run in theaters. However, it was a delightful film that harkened back to a day when the Cold War was at its height and the power of the atom was all the range.

Dr. Wainwright, you’re a scientist, you know what grasshoppers can do. I’m a soldier, I know what guns can do.

Yes, those were heady days back in the 50's (and through to the early 60s) where the forces released by the atom could do wonderful and remarkable things. Also, they could cause nature to run amok, challenging man’s very existence as a species! The atom would power incredible rocket ships that would challenge the laws of time and space, or they would mutate people and animals giving them incredible new powers.

Reporter Audrey Ames is driving along a highway in Illinois when she is stopped by the military. She then finds out that a small town was destroyed and everyone has seemingly disappeared. She then goes to a lab run by the Department of Agriculture. While she is there she meets the lab’s director, Dr. Ed Wainwright. Ed then tells her that strange things have been happening ever since he discovered that a bunch of grasshoppers managed to get into a silo containing a batch of radioactive wheat.


And if anyone ever wondered how Peter Graves could lead the IMF taskforce, it’s finally obvious that after defeating a horde of giant grasshoppers descending on Chicago, anything else was a cakewalk!

No comments: